Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Simple Summer Fun With so much on my to do list this summer, I realized I need to help the boys find stimulating activities they can do on their own. Here are a few of the ideas I have used so far, Back yard camping! They really loved this one and it kept them occupied for several days. Just remember to put the tent up on the patio if you have sprinklers that come on at night! We used our tiny two man tent that is a snap to set up and small enough for the boys to handle on their own. Art, art and more art. I don’t know about your kids, but mine never get enough art in during the school year when math and English are priorities. I find the best way to do this while retaining sanity is to set up work stations outdoors and make sure it is cleaned up before a different art project is started. A kid can have hours of fun with an inexpensive water color set and a sketch book. Nature offers unlimited inspiration. I also give them those knitting looms and left over yarn. They go to town. Check my craft page for more ideas here. Good books. Mechanism was sent a set of Madeleine L’engle books from his grandma and Texas has finally gotten into the Magic Tree House series. I try to instigate a quiet reading hour sometime in the afternoon each day. Re-organizing. In the summer I let my boys re-organize their rooms. This year they decided to have their own rooms again so they have a lot of work to do. Don’t forget the obvious fun with a hose! Although I try to watch the water bill so we only use this option from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment