Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. I still remember the green tasseled table cloth at my grandmother’s house; how I always tried to sit right next to my favorite aunt and that I could never get anyone to pass the olives or the butter once the food had all gone around once and the grownups started talking. I would get so full I really couldn't move for a few hours. When I was finally able to move my legs again, I'd go back for another piece of pie.
These days I still use the very same dishes we used to use at my grandmother's house, and now I get all the olives I can eat...if the kids don't get to them first.
The more history I learn, the more I enjoy this holiday. Mechanism is preparing a report on the colonies while my husband will be reading George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation. I also like to read excerpts from William Bradford's "Of Plymouth Plantation".
Here is a link to a website that contains Both George Washington's and William Bradford's Thanksgiving Proclamations.
http://holydays.tripod.com/brad.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment