Thursday, May 24, 2012

School ended last Wednesday, but I feel like I am finally landing on my feet today, a week and a day later. We have had a major project every day leading up until now. First it was ripping out some old fencing on Thursday, loading the truck with all of it on Friday, baking pies for Mechanism’s birthday party on Saturday, Sunday was the party; a lot of fun but left me exhausted, and Monday was a marathon with the vending machine business. Tuesday was Mechanism’s actual birthday and we got in some relaxing family time and Wednesday it was back to the vending machines again and shopping. This morning I sit here reflecting on the day ahead. The garden is washed and new smelling from last night’s rain. The robins are twittering and I can smell the chicken broth stewing in the crock pot. There will be no school today, or tomorrow, or the next day. I can hear wrestling in the room next door. As the sun streams in my school room window, it falls on the collection of books and miscellaneous items piled high on my desk. School ended just in time. Another week and this room would have exploded. I would like to paint, but probably a good, deep cleaning is all I’ll get around to before I order more curriculum and we start another school year all over again. There are too many treasure hunts to go on, gardens to weed and books to read. Summer time for me, a home school mom, is a time I look forward to every year with as much anticipation as when I was a school girl. I don’t mind my kids being around because they are always around me anyway. I am relieved however to let them run and jump and do as they please most of the time. It takes a lot of self control to keep them focused on school during the fall and winter and to be able to focus on my own projects is a big release. This summer I have so many piled up in my mind, I don’t know where to start. And then there are the fun adventures we’d like to go on, and mostly, the days we’d like to spend doing nothing at all. Today feels like one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment