Monday, December 26, 2011

A Review of Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas

I finally finished the book I have been reading since July. At 542 pages it took me six months, as I am not one to sit still for long periods of time. The title is Bonhoeffer Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy; by Eric Metaxas.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a theologian and pastor who lived in Nazi Germany during World War Two and watched the fall of his beloved country and people.

I found it interesting how easily Hitler grasped an unhealthy amount of power before anyone noticed what was happening. It is a warning for us to look into the future when contemplating allowing our government officials to hack away at the constitution which protects our precious freedoms.

Bonhoeffer really did live life to the fullest with freedom in Christ Jesus. Ultimately it was he who had the courage to stand with a very few against the evil that was taking place. It cost him his life but his obedience to God was not in vain.

It is important for us to read biographies like this one and learn what is in our history. I would recommend this as a good read. You will not only learn about a great man, but you may learn some things about World War Two they didn’t teach you in school, and some church history to boot! I think a good history book is one that makes me realize I need to learn more about one thing or another and this book does just that. If you need me you will find me at the end of this trail of books!

No comments:

Post a Comment